Updated: Feb 13, 2021
Project: Support to the Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre (KAIPTC)
Reports to: Programme Manager KAIPTC
Assignment Period: The contract ends on 31/08/2021 (extension until 08/2022 possible)
A Technical Advisor for the component ‘Training Needs Assessment (TNA)’ to advise and support the KAIPTC to offer professional and demand-based training courses for peace support operations and related missions to its key clients (such as ECOWAS, AU, ECOWAS Member States).
The course portfolio needs to respond to the technical and institutional needs of the stakeholders and reflect new developments and emerging trends in the realm of peace and security. This implies a tailor-made engagement with the clients which should result in an effective deployment of the trainees in peace support operations.
The advisor is responsible for:
• Planning and managing the component in accordance with objectives and activities agreed with the German government and the KAIPTC;
• Providing advisory services and support on training needs assessment; improved course delivery system, promote innovative and digital course facilitation and create new mechanism to widen the target group of courses e.g. to reach out to more female course participants.
Planning and managing international, regional and local short-term experts.
• Actively support the KAIPTC to implement core recommendations and other follow-up activities in the training needs assessment conducted at the AU and ECOWAS (2019) and review the training portfolio to suit the demand and the standards of the clients.
• Advise the KAIPTC in the implementation and review of the scholarship system for Women in training programmes for Peace Support Operations.
• Advise the KAIPTC to implement a modern and efficient course delivery system. The use of digital innovations and innovative instructional approaches to facilitate the access to training content and to broaden the scope of potential course participants.
• Support the KAIPTC in the monitoring and backstopping of training measures supported by the Financing Agreement between the GIZ programme and the KAIPTC.
• Actively support the implementation of a grant agreement between KAIPTC and GIZ on the provision of training courses for the ECOWAS Standby Force.
• Develop ready-to-use strategies and concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures in line with the project’s knowledge management strategy;
• Monitor and evaluate the progress of the programme and document developments for reports within GIZ and to the German ministry as required.
• Manage and monitor the project’s Knowledge Management
• Masters/MSc or PhD in Political or Social Sciences, Development, Peace and Conflict studies, International Relations or other related fields;
• 7 years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years’ professional experience in advisory measures to public sector clients and / or private sector.
• Experience in working on digital innovation and/or eEducation programmes preferred
• Advanced education in competence development or organizational development is expected;
• Excellent knowledge of the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA) and the African Governance Architecture (AGA);
• Work experience with the African Union or a Regional Economic Community/ Regional Mechanism (e.g. ECOWAS), preferable in the field of peace and security, is a strong asset;
• Excellent writing and communication skills in English is required. Good knowledge of French and/or German would be desirable;
• Passionate to work in an international team, closely aligned with the partner system;
• Very good working knowledge of MS Office particularly in PowerPoint
How to Apply
Interested and suitable applicants are to forward their detailed Curriculum Vitae and a one page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org under the job 2021/KAIPTC-TNA/01/01 Please note if you do not hear from us two 2 weeks after the deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful Closing Date: 22.02.2021