About the Book
In this book, the author narrates the intricacies of her phenomenal life so far. How it was growing up on the southside of Chicago and dealing with societal norms and racism. she tells how she was a go-getter right from childhood and how she proves a counsellor who almost shut it had dreams of going to Princeton university wrong.
She also shed more light on how she met Barack Obama and how she graded him to her preference to see if he was the man for her. she takes us through how their friendship blossomed into love and how they worked through marital issues such as trust loyalty etc.
Finally, she takes us through the life of being the first lady of the United States of America. Michelle reviews the life of being a First Lady. surprisingly, she describes it as “not a bed of roses”. she further explains how it was being a role model to lots of people and helping eradicate problems such as irregularities in the education system, poverty, obesity etc.
Becoming is simply put, an inspiring story from a very sought after perspective.
What I Love About It
• This is really an interesting read. it is informative too. A great model number I think. I would say this is my favourite memory after “born a crime” what about you. I’m certain I’d re-read it again and feel just as strongly about it and that’s for me is the mark of a great read.
• Although minimal, there were discussions of the American Political System and it was interesting to dive into the ins and outs of American politics from the point of view of someone who has lived it, more or less.
• She writes with an unmatched, refreshing candour and openness and it’s beautiful how at every point I could relate immensely with her feelings.
Quotes to Remember
• “Now I think it is one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child-What do you want to be when you grow up? As if I growing up is finite As if at some point you become something and that’s the end”
• “Who are we and what do we want to become?”
• “If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.”
How I Can Apply Its Content to my Life
• From the author, we learn to never give up on our dreams regardless of what we are told by people who think we can’t accomplish our dreams.
• From this we are taught not to settle for just any man that comes our way but to patiently wait for the one that we think matches our preferences.
Get A Copy